HUG Your Baby Website
PO Box 3102 Durham, NC USA

Perinatal Educator Becomes a Certified HUG Teacher


Karen Kane, RN, MSN is staff nurse on the Mother-Baby Unit and responsible for Perinatal Education at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro, NC. She has shared great excitement about using HUG Your Baby in her work with young families. She shares with us her process of becoming a Certified HUG Teacher. 

I have 3 children (now all adults) which I breastfed. I have been a nurse for over 26 years. I was surprised by how much I learned when I went to the HUG Your Baby workshop! The HUG information has improved the care I give on the Mother-Baby Unit where I work and improved the Perinatal Education classes I teach.

What has been most important to me is to go beyond using feeding cues as simply the best way to teach mothers. I was challenged in the HUG workshop to look at feeding cues as the babies' communication. I was challenged to "Broadcast" babies' behaviors, coping techniques, signs of over-stimulation, and signs the babies were in 1 of the three "Zones". Also, this change in practice has been easy to make! I teach these HUG techniques while I admit moms and babies to the Mother-Baby Unit. I find that using these techniques save time in the long run. I teach the parents to understand the tools their babies already have and to understand the tools they can use. Right from the start, parents are much less frustrated - which makes their babies much happier. 

I am very thankful for the HUG Your Baby workshop. I use what I learned every day I work. I believe the techniques I learned have benefited me and my patients. I would strongly encourage all who work with babies to take this workshop.