HUG Your Baby Website
PO Box 3102 Durham, NC USA

WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors praise HUG Your Baby training!



Thirty Breastfeeding Peer Counselors attended a HUG Your Baby Workshop in Raleigh, NC on 12/2/2010

At the end of the workshop, participants were asked to rate their ability to do the following before and then after they took the class. This approach to evaluation was intended to assess participants’ view of what learning occurred. Participants completed this questionnaire; results are summarized here.


  1. 131% Improvement in I can see a baby’s “Zones” and explain them to a parent.
  2. 62% Improvement in I know how to explain a baby’s Signs of Over-Stimulation (SOSs) to a parent.
  3. 64% Improvement in I know what it means when an over- stimulated baby looks away from his mother .
  4. 69% Improvement in I can tell the difference between a baby’s “active sleep” and “deep sleep.”
  5. 66% Improvement in I know how to explain how some babies “Shut Down” while trying to breastfeed.
  6. 38% Improvememt in I know how to teach a parent to calm a fussy baby.
  7. 40% Improvement in I know how to show a parent the amazing things a baby can do.
100% said, "Yes!" The HUG Strategies will help me do a better job.
100% said, "Yes!" This class was fun to take.
100% said, "Yes!"I would recommend this class to other peer counselors.
Consider HUG Your Baby online training for lactation educators and consultants.
Contact Jan Tedder at hugyourbaby@earthlink.net with any questions.