HUG Your Baby Website
PO Box 3102 Durham, NC USA

Nurse/Midwife from India becomes a new Certified HUG Teacher

Subasri Dinesh is a Registered Nurse and Midwife who has worked with many pregnant women and families on an L&D ward in Chennai, India. She discovered HUG Your Baby and has become a  Certified HUG Teacher to enhance the care she provides these families. Here she shares this  journey with us.

Many couples as new parents are eagerly to know the status of the newborn in both the antenatal and postnatal period. I am working with the new parents in the antenatal and intrapartum period am  confident in that pathway.  

On the other hand, due to less time spent with the newborn, I wanted to study more about the newborn. This would help my professional growth by gaining self-reliance to help parents. When I found the Certified HUG Teacher program I thought it would be an astonishing way to understand the baby’s behavior and apply the information with the baby in real life. 

I believe that this HUG’s knowledge would help the primi, or first-time mother, and teenage parents who lack of exposure to resources about the care of the baby. After I started to study and understand each section of this training I realized I could go forward and apply the tricks and tips to console, understand and fulfill the baby needs. 

First, I began my teaching parents how to identify the three-baby Zones: Ready (baby is in ready mode to eat or play), Resting (baby is in sleeping mode) and Rebooting (baby is in fussy or crying) and how to react to each Zone. I learned how to help the infant go to the best Zone for eating, sleeping, or playing. Next, I taught parents how to identify the different types of newborn sleep: active and deep sleep. 

 I have been teaching parents for over 11 years and I am always looking for new ideas and innovative teaching strategies to help my patients and new families. Finally, I got a better way to grow in my career through the HUG. This programs has given me a plethora of new ideas that help me to see and acknowledge each moment of newborn behavior. The knowledge that I gained through this online medium provides me a wonderful opportunity to see mother and baby attachment and bonding. I found this new approach to parent teaching about playing with the baby and consoling newborns in a successful way. 

Now I’m certitude that I have better knowledge of newborns and ability to handle the young parent in a more friendly and supportive way.  

Thank you, HUG (Help, Understanding, Guidance)