HUG Your Baby Website
PO Box 3102 Durham, NC USA

Sara Bayless, WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, becomes a Certified HUG Teacher


I have really enjoyed using the hugs information during my routine parent visits. I feel this really empowers the parents, help solidify my bond with parents, and parents are more receptive to the information being shared with them. 

 As a peer helper at WIC building my report with parents is very important. The skills I have learned have really helped me do this. There was such a sweet moment at the end of this visit That will always kind of “stick” with me, as a baby entered the resting zone. Baby was doing what appeared to do a smile while laying on mom. Perfectly relaxed and in the resting zone from nursing. Noticing how sweet of a moment it was after successfully helping mom and baby. We brought our attention to the baby rather than the conversation. Using the “start here not there” approach to really “soak in that moment” rather than distract from that moment. It was a sweet moment to share with the parents. It was a very powerful and special moment that positively impacted my relationship with the parents. 

Using the information, I feel confident in my ability to really help my parents through the journey. My goal being to offer the understanding your Newborn Class and to time my postnatal check-ins to the roadmap. Helping to empower parents with the knowledge needed to succeed in their breastfeeding goals. 

The information I have learned has given me the best tools to really help and make a difference for the parent I serve. As I personally can see how this information can really help a parent learn and grow with their baby. To really learn to “trust you baby and trust you body”, helping parents feel more confident in their ability to breastfeed long term. And to see breastfeeding as a journey that is always changing and morphing in time. I am very excited to see the impact this will have.