HUG Your Baby Website
PO Box 3102 Durham, NC USA

Certified HUG Teacher shares The HUG with Wisconsin WIC families


Amanda Krueger from Stevens Point Wisconsin.

I am grateful for having the opportunity to participate in the HUG Your Baby program. I serve my community as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and am working on achieving to become an IBCLC. I am a Doula, have a Bachelor of Science in Psychology, and breastfed my three children. I feel that my background in Psychology paved the way to noticing behaviors with my own babies and participating in this program validated everything I had noticed and more. In practice I have found it to be beneficial for families; it’s a way to connect and share information. 

 To reflect on a HUG experience that was meaningful to me I met with a pregnant mom in her home in her 9th month of pregnancy. She felt that with how difficult her pregnancy was, all she wants is to be able to breastfeed. It is her first baby and funds are tight and her personal relationships with her family have been a struggle. I broadcasted to her how she beamed when she talked about her baby and that she is already showing how much love she has. This mom was in her 40th week when she contracted Covid-19. She was induced immediately, and she had to give birth without family support. I talked to her after her baby was born in the hospital and thankfully baby tested negative. I believe it to be the breastmilk that was eagerly flowing to this hungry child! I visited mom at home when she ended her quarantine. Her baby was a champion at the breast! Baby was in a deep sleep when I arrived and we discussed baby sleep cycles. Baby soon awakened peacefully and stared into moms’ eyes in the ready zone. I broadcasted how mom and baby look deep into each other’s eyes with warmth and love. Mom’s face lit up. Baby soon began showing hunger cues. I broadcasted how mom saw those very first cues and tended to baby’s needs. While observing a feeding, I helped mom see how baby’s alignment was a bit off and to line up his ears, shoulders and hips. I commentated how it helps baby eat without turning his head, making it easier to swallow. By the end of my visit, mom seemed confident in her skills and at ease. Which made me feel like I have the best job in the world! Despite this moms hardships, she breastfeed with confidence and joy. I feel that taking the time to observe and broadcast shows your investment and builds inner confidence in those individuals.